I sat down in front of my computer 4 hours ago and started writing with the intention of working on Chapter 21 which I had started last weekend, I not only worked on it but actually finished it (It really is amazing how much you can write when you don’t allow interruptions.) but the finished product is not at all what i imagined – I had a nice albeit flexible plan in mind for the chapter, that is where I wanted it to go, what characters were involved etc. and for the most part that worked out fine for about 1\3 of the chapter.
At that point my characters essentially “mutinied” on me. I don’t know what else to call it except a mutiny because it was as if they came to life and forced me to type a completely different chapter than the one I had planned which included bringing in two characters who were not scheduled for an appearance for a while not only did they appear ahead of schedule but they’ve increased the importance of another character who was only ever designed as a sort of ‘background’ type character now it seems she is going to be far more important than even I ever imagined. I suppose my current characters like her more than I thought they would (Silly me for thinking I was in control here right?).
The characters have hijacked scenes and story lines before but they have never taken an entire chapter and turned it into something else entirely, now because of events in that chapter certain earlier things are going to have to be rewritten partially or maybe even changed completely but I’ll worry about that during the red-write\editing phase which is getting closer every day which both excites and terrifies me!
I don’t mind when my characters “take control” it does add a certain element to the process that is missing otherwise and I think it made the chapter better than it was going to be but still a little notice would have been nice.
Thanks for reading.
I spent most of last week typing up Chapter 8 – It took a bit longer than I thought it would but I’m fairly happy with the outcome though I have been thinking that I may need to change the title of the first book (From ORIGINS to something else) though I haven’t fully decided either way yet.
I have however decided to change one of the main character’s names though at this point I really have no idea what it should be and I’m certainly not looking forward to trawling through 24,00 words trying to find old instances of the name and change it to a new one if I can ever decide on a new one that is.
I don’t know about other authors and how fast they like to write but I’m quite happy with the pace I’m setting myself for this book even just getting the chance to write a few hundred words a day is proving quite satisfying and I find myself spending more and more time each day when I’m not writing thinking about the book – The stories , the characters, the whole thing its really rather exciting and I’m going to stick with it because even though there are only 24,000+ words at the moment the characters are in my brain now and I HAVE TO finish their stories even if no-one ever reads them though obviously it would be nice if people do read them and enjoy them too.
I will post another update in about 1 week hopefully and by then with any luck I’ll have breached the 30,000 word mark – That really is a lot of words you know certainly more than I’ve ever written – and hopefully by the time of the next update I’ll have news on the title and character name change decisions.
Finally can I just say how much fun I’m having doing this I’d forgotten how much fun writing could be – stupid life getting in the way!
Okay so it’s been a bit longer than a week (Which was supposed to be the length of time between my first post and this one) but due to unforeseen technical difficulties I’m only getting around to it now.
I now have approximately 15,000 words written comprising a prologue and the first 5 chapters which I am happy with for the moment, Based on the minimum average length of books in the genre I figure there is about 70,000 more words to go before I can even start to think of wrapping it up but the one good thing about the technical issues is I’ve had plenty of time to stew over the story\characters etc. so as long as I can keep finding time each day to do a little writing at least I shouldn’t have a problem getting there.
I have a rough working title for the book though it may change as things progress but again I’m happy with it for the moment. The (Very) rough working title is:
ORIGINS: THE TRIUMVIRATE QUEST BOOK ONE
Thanks for reading and stay tuned for more updates which could come at any moment!